Jean Monnet Programme

HISTORY

The Jean Monnet Programme is a European Union initiative to encourage teaching, research and reflection in the field of European integration studies in higher education institutions. It is named for Jean Monnet (1888–1979), regarded by many as a chief architect of European Unity. The Jean Monnet Programme was originally launched in 1989, it is now present in more than 70 countries throughout the world and more than 800 universities offer Jean Monnet courses as part of their curricula. The Jean Monnet Programme brings together a network of about 1,700 professors, reaching audiences of 265,000 students every year.

AIMS
The Jean Monnet Programme is dedicated to European Integration studies. European Integration studies involve the study of the origins and evolution of the European Communities and the European Union in all its aspects. European integration studies cover the analysis of both the internal and external dimension of European integration, including the European Union’s role in the dialogue between peoples and cultures.

JEAN MONNET TEACHING MODULES
Jean Monnet Modules are short teaching programmes (or courses) in the field of European integration studies at higher education institutions. Each Module has a minimum duration of 40 teaching hours. Modules may concentrate on one particular discipline in European integration studies or be multidisciplinary in approach and therefore call upon the services of several teachers. Jean Monnet Modules must take one of the following forms: general or introductory courses on on a subject of the European integration; highly specialized teaching on European Union developments; summer courses. Erasmus+ supports Jean Monnet Modules with aiming to deliver tailor-made courses on specific EU issues relevant for graduates in their professional life.

BENEFICIARIES
The programmes beneficiaries include higher education institutions and/or associations of professors and researchers specializing in European integration. Target groups of HELACOL are students of the Department of Legal, Historical, Economical and Social Sciences of UMG; Students of the interdisciplinary PhD Course in ‘Legal theory and European juridical order’ UMG; Bureaucrats; Policy makers and collective economic actors responsible for policy implementation.

FINANCES
Jean Monnet Project provides a grant which serves as a mean of co-financing during the launch period of the first three years. The University co-finances a minimum (20% of the total budget) while the rest is contributed by the EU (80% of the total budget).

HELACOL – JEAN MONNET MODULE
In 2016, the Department of Law, Historical, Economics and Social Sciences of the University ‘Magna Graecia’ of Catanzaro (Italy) was awarded a three-year grant (2016-2019) under the Jean Monnet Programme to support teaching on “The Harmonization of European and Latin American Consumer Law”. This support allows UMG to extend our teaching in the area an to support our teaching with research activities.